Monday, January 25, 2016

Adventures in Coffee (Vegan Mocha)

For Christmas, I gave Paul a new coffee maker that mounts under the cabinet.  The kids gave him a coffee grinder.  This has been fun.  The beans smell so delicious right after grinding.  I decided to experiment with a vegan mocha recipe.  I got it from Oh She Glows.  (The recipe below makes a lot - I did 1/3 of this recipe for one serving.) 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup freshly brewed coffee (decaf, if preferred)
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • dash of fine grain sea salt
1. Whisk together the coffee and coconut milk in a medium-sized pot. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
2. Sift in the cocoa powder, whisking quickly to incorporate until no clumps remain. Whisk in maple syrup to taste and a dash of sea salt.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Serve immediately with vegan marshmallows and/or sugar-rimmed glasses or mugs. Store any leftovers in a glass jar in the fridge.

This was pretty good!  I did adjust the sweetener a bit, since I like my coffee drinks sweet.  

The new coffee maker

The grinder

Ingredients for the vegan mocha

Non-dairy topping that is not all chemical-ey

I think I'll go make some more right now!

No comments: